Tuesday 20 April 2010

Turn up the heat

Well I've decided to turn up the heat with my Portuguese study for my last two weeks in Maceio by doing two extra hours each day in the afternoon. I don't really want to learn new stuff in these classes (Im not sure that my brain can handle new stuff) but am hoping that it will help reinforce what Ive already been learning. The only other student in this class is from Mexico - so as Spanish is her native language I feel she can communicate here much better than I can.

With all that said, tomorrow is a public holiday here. Its Tiradentes' Day. Tiradente was a leader in a revolutionary movement in the 1700s. He was hanged - like many of these revolutionaries really. After the hanging his body was quartered into "several pieces" (I would have thought quartering would involve four pieces). All rather brutal - but he began to be considered a hero in the late 1800s and after Brazil became a republic in 1889, the annivserary of his death - 21st April - was declared a public holiday.

2 comments:

  1. Snapper!
    You're blog is great... You're story about the volleyball had me on the floor! The good ol days of Ranger Volleyball would have kept you sharp, but yeah,as you say, not that sharp!
    Its great mate, keep it up. Wish i was there- you must be the smartest man on the face of the planet doing what you're doing. Enjoy it! Hope you'll be sharing a bit of the Anzac spirit with your friends Brazillian style this Sunday.... long weekend for us this year.
    Come in spinner!
    Cheers,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good to hear from you Sam!
    Speaking of Anzac day I'd like to get up early enough for the dawn service one of these days, I guess not really possible this year...

    Well if you decide you want to bring Darcey over here for a bit of life experience holiday, I'm sure I could organise my home stay family to find a spare room for you :)

    ReplyDelete