Thursday 8 April 2010

First weekend in Maceio
















Last weekend - my first in Maceio was a three day weekend due to Christmas. This meant there was no school on Friday.
So on the Friday I went with some of the other students to a beach called Guaxuma. Most of the other students are American, but there a people from other counties including a lady from Japan and another from Switzerland who don't really speak English. Any the beach a 30 minute trip north on the bus. While there are many beaches in Sydney, there's not many where you can eat a nice lunch actually on the beach. This combined with the fantastic beach itself went for a nice day.



I've made my first Brazilian friend here in Maceio - Fabiana. She's a friend of a friend (Livia) in Sydney. She doesn't speak any English - which is all part of the fun! She invited me to go to her church's cell group (a house meeting) on the Saturday. She was kinda enough to come and meet my at my place and get the bus (onibus as they're called here) to the house where they were meeting. So it was was great to meet a few more people. I was going to get a taxi home, but we had some trouble finding one, so her brother was kind enough to give me a lift home.

In Sydney over the years I'd meet various people from overseas who didn't speak much English - so its an interesting experience being on the other end of the stick :)

8 comments:

  1. Sure do hope you get lots of comments from all of your friends, not to mention other members of the family.

    Lovely to see the blog up and running - look forward to seeing and reading lots more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ola Aaron!
    These photos take me back... I wish I could be by the beach in Maceio too, eating freshly catched fish and drinking fresh fruit juice! What a life.
    Glad to hear you are enjoying Brazil :)
    Boa semana para voce!
    Ale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you making friends already Snapper. Hope your Portuguese picks up soon so you can actually start to have decent conversations with people.

    The meal on the beach sounds fantastic!!! Enjoy mate. We are missing you over here. Ben organised a crazy game for the Ignite Social. It was a combination of oztag, lazerzone and hide and seek. We played it in total darkness with lots of smoke in the auditorium. There were a few bumps and bruises from people bumping into others and chairs as they ran around in the dark!!! Everyone seemed to have a good time.

    Look forward to updates on the blog so we can keep up with your adventures.

    Hil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aaron - enough I was just thinking last night that we had not heard from you for a while now... We were wondering how it was all going.

    Great to read an update and see that you are doing good. We think that it's got to be the right way to learn a new language living somewhere that you HAVE to speak it to get by.

    Looking forward to reading more -
    Love
    Jamie and Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mate, great to see you are having a good time. I'm sure its only going to get better and better. I'll be enviously reading your blog to see what new adventures you are on. The beach there looks awesome, nothing like enjoying a meal and drink on the sand. Something I enjoy when I get to go back to Greece for holidays. Keep the photos and posts coming buddy, you have a lot of friends here who like to hear how you are getting on with your travels, and language studies.

    All the best,
    -- Stav.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone said freshly caught fish and that reminded me... tonight Jackson informed us that fish are not food - they swim in the water.

    I'm hoping that David will quit doing stuff for free so I can laze around the beach like you :)

    Maybe you'll come visit now that we're on the same side of the earth. We miss uncle Aaron... perhaps when you need a vacation from your vacation!

    Looks like you're having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Hil - Ben's definitely the man for orgnanising that sorta stuff - sounds like it was great fun!

    Ale - hopefully I can keep posting to "take you back" here :)

    Lisa - One day Jackson will have to face reality. For now he can be in his fairy land of no death or killing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, the lazing on the beach stuff has been on the weekend I'll have you know! Besides, I think you like work too much :) A vactation doesnt sound like a bad idea - of course you could head down south sometime. You'd need to get a visa first though...

    ReplyDelete