Friday 16 April 2010

Second weekend in Maceió (third in Brazil)


Durval was out teacher for the first two weeks.
He's the guy in the middle...


Beach volleyball action


Well this blog is a bit late as I'm writing about the previous weekend on a Friday (early Saturday if you're in Australia), but better late then never, right?

So I went to Praia do Francês - a famous beach which I was told I should check - with some fellow students on Saturday. This means after having lived in Sydney my whole life and rarely gone to the beach, I've now been to the beach three straight weekends here in Brazil.
The day was actually a bit overcast, but still worth the visit to Praia do Francês.

However activities like that still mean I'm howling around with fellow foreigners. I'd really like to meet more Brazilians and experience the culture more. So on Sunday I set about ventures that would lead to meeting more Braziliians.

I went to a church on Sunday morning. "Assembleia de Deus" is the same denomination church (Assembly of God) that I go to in Australia. I actually bumped into this particular church in Maceio one time when I got lost. Even though its the same denomination in name, it was a fair bit different in the way they behaved. They dress more formally (a lot of the guys) wear ties and are less expressive in their singing (generally speaking I'd say Brazilians are more expressive than Australians). People there were quite welcoming, although I didn't really get talking to anyone extensively.

In the afternoon I went for a walk along the beach in search of a game of beach volleyball. Bingo! I came across some guys setting up the nets. I asked if I could play with them and they said "sim" (yes). They take it pretty seriously - pure 2 on 2 (I was on a 3rd team that subbed in) with rope to mark the court'd boundaries. I was really glad to play, but unfortunately I wasn't quite at their level of competition. Perhaps I should challenge them to swimming next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment