Sunday 4 April 2010

Homestay

The homestay I'm at is quite good - I've already been here for one week! There's a lady in her 30s by the name of Marcela, her sister Carla and another friend of there's - although I don't see much of her as she's out a lot. As part of the deal they prepare me breakfast and dinner. There's a good bit of variety in the food and I like it - mostly.

As expected they don't speak English. When I first got here, I was pleased with my Portuguese in that I could communcate a fair bit of stuff - not in whole sentences, but just with key words (and pointing etc). As she's used to having foreign students, or gringos -the term they use for non-Brazilians living here), I think she's probably accustomed to communicating in an easy to understand manner. As was confirmed the the next day in school (my first), I don't know much portuguese yet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment