Sunday 16 May 2010

Taboo



I'd like to announce that this blog now has ten official followers! Of course that's just a small representation of the thousands of you readers out there that do read my blog but aren't "official" followers.

Trying to communicate in a language you aren't fluent in can be a bit like playing the game Taboo. You can't say the specific word you want to say, so it helps to be creative and something close to what you're actually trying to say. I like Taboo. Just like with Taboo it doesn't just come down only to the creativity of the person speaking, but the people trying to work out what you're trying to say have to realise that you can't say the actual word you want and and need to be a bit creative in guessing what you're actually trying to say - some people are better at this than others...

At the language school I was at in Maceio one American guy complained that being able to only communicate with people in Portuguese meant it was like his whole personality was suppressed. All these things he wanted to communicate but couldn't.

Fortunately in my case I have a fairly simple sense of humour, so my jokes are already making it through! I was told by Priscilla's family (who I'm with at the moment) that unlike most gringos (people outside Brazil) I'm very funny. I guess its a good thing that I'm leaving soon - before they realise I've only got a handful of jokes I just reuse :)

6 comments:

  1. Nice to have an update once again. Keep up the good work so your followers have something to keep coming back for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. V Funny Snapper!
    Just remind those Brazillians that we don't find them terribly amusing either! And we don't have funny nicknames for them either (gringos...... who comes up with these things?)
    Keep charming them with your witty repartee Snappy Tom! It doesn't get any better though.... my wife used to laugh at all my jokes, now i barely get a rise. So yes, run for the hills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there

    Great to read your news. We've not been on here for a few weeks so it was good to catch up on all that you've been up to. Very well written!

    Keep going for it and we wish we could be there with you.

    Jamie, Tracy and Ethan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aaron,

    I love reading your posts, as it reminds me so much of when I first got to Australia. It is so frustrating not being able to express what you want, the way you want. I have to agree with your friend, I felt I lost my whole personality for a few years until I could speak English better - I am still trying to find my personality though!!!

    And BTW, you've officially been to more places in Brazil than have!! So hopefully I know more places in Australia than you :o)

    When are we going to see the first post in Portuguese?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good little post. I enjoyed that one.

    Keep'em coming, Snap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments everyone
    - Sam, thanks for the reality check with the jokes - I guess you can only keep them laughing for so long. Yeh I guess we reserve most of our names for the Poms.
    Speaking of which - good to hear from you Jamie, Tracy and Ethan!! (although I consider him more of an Aussie really).
    - Ale, so I've only got a few more years to go before I can actually communicate properly?! Argh... Well I could try a Portuguese post, but most people would require a translator. Ok, I probably will one of these days...
    - Brother Romes (aka Ricky), alright I'll keep em comin - just for you

    ReplyDelete