Tuesday 25 May 2010

Brasilia part 2


View from Priscilla's uncles' house


Backyard soccer action


Priscilla's family and me


For the 2nd half of my stay in Brasilia I stayed at my friend Priscilla's place. I know her from when she spent a year in Sydney. I has also met her sister Polly last year in Rio de Janeiro. It was really nice to see them again. Priscilla and her whole family were extremely nice. Her parents don't speak any English which was good practise for me! Her mum used to be a Portuguese teach and helped me out with some things. Her dad seems quite funny, but spoke at "full speed" with me so I often couldn't quite work out what he was saying.

On my first day with their family I went with them to Priscilla and Polly's uncle's house for a barbecue. I joined them for some soccer. It may have been backyard soccer (3 on 3 or 2 on 2), but they took it pretty seriously - the women and children were confined to the sidelines to cheer us on. Although they did get to join in volleyball later on… I had some nice chocolate type food there. I'm not exactly sure what it was but when translated the name is "boy's foot"…

Polly's boyfriend speaks English very well - he's an English teacher. I went along to a couple of his classes and spoke to his students. Some of them had never spoken to a "gringo" (someone from outside Brazil) before, so this was kinda fun.

I had a really good time in Brasilia. I got to just about finish the Rosetta Stone Portuguese software course I was doing. I got to meet some new people as well as catch up with old friends. Both the families I stayed with were extremely hospitable.

But now I'm in Palmas (about a one hour flight from Brasilia)- I'm a bit behind in my blogs as I've been here for a week. Another friend (Angela) has organised things for me to stay here for a few weeks, I'm studying more Portuguese here and getting to meet lots of new people. More on that next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment