Saturday 1 May 2010

Observations here


Locals playing Footvolley


This is my last day in Maceio and I thought I'd reflect on what I've observed here. I'll take a moment to compare an aspect of Brazil to the Philippines (another "developing country I've been too). I recall in the Philippines a time that Ricardo and I went for a jog on the beach. We got people looking at us and even a few taking photos - felt a bit like celebrity status.
Its not like that in Brazil. For the most part I feel like people don't give me a second look really. A lot of countries seem to "look up to" the West, and - while they certainly have their degree of western influence here with translated movies, books, magazines etc - I get the feeling that Brazilians are really content in their culture here.

One thing I was looking forward to in the north of Brazil was that I was told that the people are really friendly. Although I haven't really observed that here, just in general people seem to keep to themselves and go about their business (nothing bad a bit like Australia really). I've heard that may be an exception for the particular area I'm in… That said, if you do talk to people they do seem pretty friendly. Like when guys let me join in their game of beach volleyball last weekend.

Another game they're into here is "Footvolley" sort of a mix of volleyball and soccer. Where you've got to hit it over the net, but can't use your hands. Its incredible how good some of the locals are. I didn't dare attempt this one…
Here's a short video clip (unfortunately a Facebook login is required)
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=412858087436

Also, in my last couple of weeks here I started going to a different church. I really liked the feel there and have made some friends. I like meeting new people and making new friends.

There are 26 states in Brazil, apparently the one I'm currently (Alagoas) in is the poorest. But compared to some other countries I've been to it doesn't seem all that poor to me. That said, it certainly would be nice to be able to use a toilet where I'm allowed to flush the toilet paper rather than have to throw it in the bin… Don't get me wrong, there are certainly a lot of poor people in Brazil. Particuarly in a place like Rio - although it is richer overall than here, the higher cost of living can be hard on the poorer people - Rio is known for having a lot of favelas.
But economically speaking, overall I get the feeling that this country is on the rise. I'm told that the current president - Lula - has done a lot to get rid of corruption at the highest levels in the country over the last few years and is really popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment