Thursday 24 March 2011

One year in Brazil

One year ago today I arrived in Brazil. When I arrived I hardly spoke any Portuguese. The first four months were spent studying Portuguese in a few different language schools in different parts of Brazil. I decided to study in different locations to get to see more of the country - in hindsight I'm glad I did.

My Portuguese is now at a level where I can have a decent conversation. I can also tune into other peoples conversations, this was always a lot harder - it's one thing when someone talks to you slowly, but its another when two Brazilians are talking with each other at full pace with their full range of volcabualary. So its nice that I can now do this. Although I'm still not fluent, have a strong accent and can't understand everything, it's nice to have seen the improvement.

I had originally planned to stay here a maximum of six months. So what happened? Well seven months ago I met a lovely young lady by the name of Marcele at a church I started attending in Rio de Janeiro. Seven months on and I'm glad to say that we're engaged and planning our wedding!

I have tried to make the most of my extra time here and was doing some volunteer work in a favela, although now a lot of my time is being used as we plan towards the wedding and future travel plans!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to have an update again.

    Please keep them happening.

    ReplyDelete