Monday 28 June 2010

Florianópolis


The street where my house is


Its actually quite steep...


Floripa


I've been in Floripa for over a week now. I'm pleased to say so far that I haven't come across any of the negative preconceptions about this place. On my second night here I went to a bus stop and asked the two guys waiting when the next bus was due. They soon worked out I was a foreigner and we struck up a good conversation.

I like this city, the buildings and streets have a bit more of a European feel to them. Its just a pity that it is rather cold at the moment. The house I'm staying at is quite big. Its good all the basic necessities: Running water, electricity and wireless Internet access. Even has hot water as a bonus! The house has one lady in her 50s by the name of Anna and her two adult children - a son and daughter, although her son is currently overseas and I haven't met him yet. The only negative about this house is I don't have much interaction with the people, they're often out and so that part of the homestay (getting to know other people and living with a "family") isn't as good as it could be, but overall things are going well.

I visited a church on Thursday night and met some people and to invited to a weekend getaway on the south of the island. So I went on that which proved to be a great opportunity to worship God, meet lots of new people, go to the beach (just for a look as its cold at the moment), play some soccer have a barbecue (Brazilian style) and just hang out with some new people.

I'm meant to be doing one one one Portuguese lessons here, but for the first week one of the teachers was sick and I ended up being in a small group. I ended up doing six hours a day. This week I'm doing one on one classes for three hours a day. I've also enquired into the possibility of doing some volunteer work - so I've arranged to go to an orphanage tomorrow and see if I can assist there.

Things are going well here so far!



BBQ at weekend away


Some of the guys I went away with on my first full weekend in Floripa

No comments:

Post a Comment